The Catholic Parishes of Sydney Harbour North
First Holy Communion 2020
The Sacrament of First Holy Communion is celebrated towards the end of Term 3 of the school year. Children in Year 4 or above, who have made their 1st Reconciliation can participate in this program. If your child has not made their 1st Reconciliation, please contact the Sacramental Coordinator at the Parish Office asap.
There are three large group sessions, which every child attends with a parent/guardian. Preparation also includes weekly Mass attendance where children will receive Mass cards, and a Retreat Day, during which the children practise for their 1st Communion Mass. All elements of the program are compulsory.
Stage 1 of the enrolment is done online through a link on the home page of the Parish website.
Enrolments open on 7th June and close on 21st June. Late enrolments will not be accepted.
Stage 2 of the enrolment (deadline 22 July) is completed by:
- Making the financial contribution OR emailing the Parish Office to request an exemption.
- Providing a copy of your child’s baptismal certificate OR ensuring your child’s Baptismal certificate is on file from a previous sacrament. NOTE: If your child was not baptised in one of the four Parishes of Sydney Harbour North or we don’t have a copy of their Baptismal certificate on file, we will need a copy of the baptismal certificate.
The program offered is parish-based and family centred with the following elements:
1. FAMILY NIGHT: Wednesday 22 July, 6.30pm at Sacred Heart CHURCH, Cardinal St, Mosman
Please note that children AND a parent are to attend. The Family evening will provide information to children and parents about the program as children and parents will go on this faith journey together which is why it is expected that both candidates and one parent attend. A photo of the children as a group will be taken on the night for our parish photoboard so it is essential that children are present on the night.
2. COMMITMENT MASS: All 8 Sunday Masses on the weekend of 25/26 July (including the Vigil Masses). The candidates and their parents are welcomed by the whole community, invited to show their commitment to the preparation program and are given a blessing.
3. THREE LARGE GROUP SESSIONS: as there are only 3 sessions children will also work through the Activity book at home with their parents to reaffirm the lesson content.
Lesson 1: Tues 28th July Parish Hall choose either 5pm OR 6.30pm (Catch-up on 5th August 3.45pm).
Lesson 2: Wed 5th August Parish Hall choose either 5pm OR 6.30pm (Catch-up on 11th August 3.45pm).
Lesson 3: Tues 11th August Parish Hall choose either 5pm OR 6.30pm (Catch-up on 12th August 3.45pm).
4. RETREAT DAY including Mass practise: Tuesday 18th August, 8:45am–2.45pm at Sacred Heart Parish Hall/Primary School: Candidates come together to prepare for the sacrament at Sacred Heart. Parents are responsible for ensuring appropriate medications, epipens and medical action plans are sent with their child on the day and handed in to the Sacramental Co-ordinator.
5. RITE OF RECONCILIATION: Tuesday 25th August, 5pm and 7pm at Blessed Sacrament Church
This is an opportunity for candidates and their families to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation just prior to celebrating 1st Holy Communion. The Second Rite will be used.
6. CELEBRATION OF 1st EUCHARIST: 1st Eucharist will be celebrated on:
Saturday 29 August, 6:15pm at Sacred Heart, Mosman
Sunday 30 August, 9:00am at Sacred Heart, Mosman
Sunday 30 August, 10:00am at Blessed Sacrament, Clifton Gardens
Sunday 13 September, 9:00am at Sacred Heart, Mosman
Sunday 13 September, 10:00am at Blessed Sacrament, Clifton Gardens
Sunday 13 September, 11:00am at Sacred Heart, Mosman
Contact the Sacramental Co-ordinator with any enquires on 8969-3202 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Thomas Dabbah – Sacramental Co-ordinator- Catholic Parishes of Sydney Harbour North